This machine had previously been a top-end gaming PC. The case has a water cooling loop built into it, complete with water reservoir, pump and radiator. When it came to me the water flow indicator was not moving, suggesting a blockage or pump failure. We were asked to investigate and if the case was still usable, to upgrade it to be a modern gaming PC.
We drained the machine and found that many of the components had become filled with congealed coolant solution. After a thorough flushing, the water loop was working as normal, at which point I began planning the upgrade. The components used were very standard, with new water blocks being ordered alongside the CPU and graphics cards themselves. We replaced the cases residue-filled tubing and simplified its layout for easier future maintenance. The machine ran nicely at full load, ostensibly much quieter than it had ever been previously.
The cherry on the sundae was the pencil support, pictured on the right. We used this to give support to the heavy graphics card waterblock, it’s adjustable length was perfect for the job and certainly added some character to the build.