In order to improve my skills with lighting and rendering, I did some research into daylight systems in 3DSMax and Mental Ray. I needed a test environment decided to go with a building that uses large skylights, an aircraft hangar.
I built a basic structure from reference pictures, keeping things fairly clean and simple with a ‘Mirror’s Edge’ colour scheme (one of my favourite video game art styles). I then used this basic structure to experiment with lighting direction, colour and intensity. This also allowed me to tweak settings in mental ray in order to achieve a realistic final result. Finally I applied some recently-learned knowledge on Ambient Occlusion to add some depth and define details in the image. For a relatively quick project I was happy with the results.